Do you suffer from dry, cracked skin? Do you often experience outbreaks of inflamed bumps around scaly patches on your skin as well? You may be suffering from a form of psoriasis, which is a chronic recurring skin disorder that can range from mild to severe and typically affects the face, hairline, neck, or even the entire body. While there is no cure yet available for this uncomfortable condition, there are numerous treatment options available to alleviate symptoms and reduce the severity of psoriasis flare ups.
Please contact Baldone Reina to schedule your appointment today.
What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition in which skin cells reproduce and mature at a much faster rate than they should, causing patches of dry, thick, scaly skin as well as small bumps. Some patients experience only small outbreaks that do not cause much irritation or discomfort, while others may suffer from constant, painful red patches of skin covering large portions of their body. The most common types include:
- Plaque Psoriasis: Characterized by raised red patches with thick, scaly skin on different parts of the body.
- Inverse Psoriasis: Identified by red lesions in folds of skin, such as the armpits or behind the knees. In many cases, patients suffering from inverse psoriasis also suffer from other types of psoriasis as well.
- Guttate Psoriasis: Appears in small red lesions on the entire body. Guttate psoriasis often affects children or young adults, particularly after a strep infection.
- Pustular Psoriasis: Characterized by white pustules on the hands and feet as well as reddish skin. Fortunately, pustular psoriasis is not infectious.
Our Reliable Treatments for Psoriasis
When beginning treatment for psoriasis, whether mild or severe, we typically start with more conservative options first before moving on to more intensive in order to find the best and most convenient treatment. Effective psoriasis treatments include the following:
- Topical Ointments and Creams – Corticosteroids and other anti-inflammatory medications that can be applied directly to the skin help reduce the symptoms of psoriasis outbreaks.
- Injectable Treatments – Options such as Enbrel and Humira can be injected under the skin regularly depending on doctor recommendations, which can help treat the causes of psoriasis instead of only the symptoms.
- Oral Medication – New medications have been developed in recent years to target the molecules that cause inflammation, tenderness, swelling, and scaly skin.
Let us check you
If you or someone you love is suffering from any form of psoriasis, effective relief is available. Baldone Reina are expert, board-certified dermatologists with experience diagnosing and treating psoriasis. Contact Baldone Reina for an in-person evaluation to bring your skin relief.